Thursday, December 15, 2011

Vintage Aprons - The Emerging Collectible Icon of Worldwide Art and History

 
Have you acquired one lately?  Or do you have one tucked away, made by your mother or grandmother?  Is it gingham with colorful cross stitch embroidery?  Or does it have a poodle motif?  Maybe it’s made with a floral feed sack printed in lovely colors.  It may be crocheted, or made of lovely pastel or white batiste, with silk ribbon ties from the 1920’s.  It could be reversible, long, short, adult size, or children’s size.  It may be adorned with Christmas kittens or Easter bunnies with the ears being straps over the shoulders.  Perhaps it has a cartoon of a mother cooking, baking, serving meals, doing dishes, vacuuming, or dusting. 

Antique aprons, more than 100 years old, may be from the Edwardian period of the early 1900’s, made with long cotton pin tucked fronts embellished with small prints similar to men’s shirt designs.  Or they may be beautiful black mourning apparel in the era of Queen Victoria.  Going further back, they could be from the Regency period, 1810-1840, such as a silk tartan apron from Scotland.  There are even a few 18th century aprons around, rare and highly collectible.

No matter how old, in what condition, what color, what textile, how beautiful, for man, woman, or child, each apron has its own story.  These stories bring joy to our hearts with memories or imaginings of days gone by.  We bask in the presence of these aprons, as if they have an energy and wisdom of their own. 

I began a serious and purposeful collection of vintage aprons in 2008, at the encouragement of a dear friend.  What a joyful learning experience it has been and continues to be, as I give presentations for community service to ladies’ groups.  This is my first blogging experience, and I hope you’ll drop by often and take this ride with me as we discuss everything about aprons – and vintage buttons - and how their stories merged at given times in history.  

Blessings to you and family as we celebrate the birth of our Lord, Christ Jesus, of Bethlehem.  

3 comments:

  1. This blog is awesome! I love all of the information and stories about the aprons--and the wonderful photos. Your presentations also sound interesting. I'm looking forward to coming back and learning more about aprons and buttons as you share more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Diane! I am up at the obsurd hour of 3:30 A.M. and can't read the entire thing right now, but will come back soon and finish. I am tickled that I have a red and white check gingham ,from the '50's. It is the only apron I own anymore, but I have pics of my Grandmother in her's during the late 30's and love them. One of my favorite memories. Thanks for tugging at my memory bank! (I also have a Napolean button!)

    Hope to see you "somewhere" in 2012! Happy New year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just found my Mom's aprons from the 1950s. They were a bit musty so I washed them and they are all ready for me to iron. I love ironing old things - laces, aprons, hankies, doilies, tablecloths. I just wish I had more time.

    ReplyDelete